A man in the Rocky Mound community was flown to Vanderbilt on Wednesday after being severely burned in a gas can fire.
The severity had as much to do with location as degree of burn, according to Randall Kirby, Director of the Lafayette Emergency Medical Service: “He was burned over arms, legs, and face.” The accident occurred around noon. The man is said to have thrown some gasoline on some brush—ostensibly to remove it—and this caused the explosion that burned him. The man's name has been witheld.
He was airlifted via Lafayette EVAC to Vanderbilt’s burn unit, which is now the only burn unit in the state of Tennessee. “East and West TN closed theirs down,” said Smith. “[Vanderbilt] is a very busy place, because they get them from all over the state, Mississippi, Northern Alabama and Georgia, etc.”