Three people died in a mobile home fire at 131 Boyd Road in Macon County on Friday morning, December 30, 2016.
The victims were identified as Wanda Rush Ray, age 69 and her two sons, Jimmy Lane Ray, age 52 and Ronald Earl Ray, age 51.
Willete Fire Chief Danny Dozier stated, “We got a call at 8:25 a.m. on Friday morning. When we arrived at the scene, members of the Macon County Sheriff’s Department had already got the victims out of the home and were on the porch. Smoke was coming out of the home towards the end of the trailer. We had two guys to go in because it was thought there may have been another person inside. The two men went in and did a left hand search on the way in and a right hand search as they were coming back out and no body else was found in the house.”
Macon county Sheriff Mark Gammons stated, “When we arrived we found smoke coming from the trailer. We went inside and removed three victims from the home, and notified the State Fire Marshall to come and investigate the scene. The fire has been declared accidental and we do believe the fire started in the bathroom. It is believed that the three victims died from smoke inhalation. The medical examiner determined the victims were deceased when they were removed from the home. It also appeared to be a large amount of toxic smoke inside the trailer. Deputies had to receive oxygen from EMS after removing the victims from the home.
Seven members of the Willette Fire Department were at the scene, along with 6 members of the Lafayette Fire Department, the Macon County Sheriff and three deputies and assistance from Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Reach Kelly Rich at 615-666-2440.